Friday, August 27, 2010

Projects, traveling, and a loooong week.

It has been the busiest/craziest week so far on my term.  It is Friday morning, and I already have 36.75 hours logged for the week, thanks in part to a straight 10 hour day on Tuesday. 

Monday started off with meetings at two different Job and Family Services, building partnerships withe the Directors at each and learning how they handle Benefit Bank applications.  It's interesting to see how some people truly see the Benefit Bank as a valuable tool, and some people are very much traditionally minded that using the Benefit Bank isn't even an option.  For example, one of the JFS's we met with would actually want their staff to use the Benefit Bank in their office to help expedite front end processes.  This way they wouldn't have to deal with all the paper applications and inserting the information into CRIS-E (their archaic system).  The applications would be submitted electronically, AND they could help their citizens connect with other resources in the area that they don't administer.  Remember this is the top people at JFS suggesting this for the agency.  The very next day I met with a woman who runs a Free Store (similar to a Goodwill) and a soup kitchen.  Sites like this are usually fantastic, because they very obviously work with low to moderate income families.  The first thing the woman said when I sat down was to the effect of "I understand your program, but I don't think it is necessary here.  You are duplicating services, and we don't want to help people through the Benefit Bank here when we can just send them off to JFS or the other agencies."  Ugh.


One of my other projects is creating a taining supplement for the counselors in each of my county, filled with information straight from the income maintenance workers at JFS on how Benefit Bank clients can work effiicently and successfully with JFS proceses.  So this means visits with the reps in all 15 counties in Central Ohio.  The counties in green are my region   >>>>


What other projects am I working on, you ask?
  • Connecting sites with the Rehab Services Commission and Disability Determination ajudicators
    • Allows the people who determine disability status can see people living with disabilities "in real life," and not just at a half hour appointment sitting across a desk.
  • Meeting with school districts, Family and Children First Councils, and Education Service Centers to get the Benefit Bank in school to fulfill the Family and Civic Engagement reguirements (from the Oh Dept of Education). 
    • Do you know a superintendent/guidance counselor, or someone else that would want to talk with me about using the Benefit Bank in their school to help the students receive wrap-around services? 

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel about this week for sure. I came in late this morning because I knew my week had been crazy enough already...when I got here I was already at 37.25 hours, only 15 minutes from my weekly requirement and only 3 hours away from 40...but good for you and getting the JFS so far on board!!! That's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete