Friday, August 13, 2010

Foodstamp Challenge, Commence!

nourishedkitchen.com
The Foodstamp Challenge begins today at the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks.

Which means that I am only allowed to spend $3 per day on food, the same amount that someone surviving on social services would spend.

Which means that I am going to have some trouble finding a $3 Subway sandwich when I meet a friend there for lunch.  Which means I'll have to spend $5 for a footlong (are you singing that jingle in your head now? *evil laugh* What a catchy song...), which means I can essentially only spend ONE dollar tomorrow.  The rules say I am allowed to use condiments and spices that I already own.  Ranch dressing has a lot of fatty goodness, right? 

This is just like the 30 Hour Famine.  I'm hungry already.

Hopefully this will raise awareness and encourage policy makers and other people who may not be aware of the difficulties people have with food insecurity to try the challenge themselves.  It's been done before in a couple instances, like back in 2007: Lawmakers Find $21 a Week Doesn't Buy a Lot of Groceries

http://www.ashleycecil.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment