Sunday, March 6, 2011

She Has A Name

My service is not limited to my job.  As many of you know, I volunteer my media and communications abilities for a technology/advocacy organization focused on youth here in the States and in various African countries.  It has been such a joy  to use the skills I don’t get to cultivate often at my day job for another great organization on my free time.

Now, my church is launching an organization that is doing crazy things to combat human trafficking right in my backyard. I am hoping to get involved in a deeper level with these efforts, so I'm sure there will be more to come of this organization on this blog.


This is my church.  We meet in an old building close to Weinland Park.

Here is the information copied straight from the website, as I couldn’t do it justice on my own:

"She Has A Name" is derived from a real-life story from the streets during a street outreach event. There was a "john" (male paying for sex), a pimp, and a prostitute. The "john" said to the pimp, "What's her name?" The pimp said, "She doesn't have a name. She is whatever you want her to be."

We try to remember the girls' names when doing street outreach. If we see them again the following week, we'll say their name out loud to them. Their reactions say everything. It's as if they've ached their whole lives to hear their own name. It's as if they forgot their own name. This is why we do street outreach. Even if just for a moment, they believe what we do: that their life matters.

http://veritascolumbus.com/serve/shehasaname/
We decided that we wanted to help fight human trafficking worldwide and came up with an idea to start selling a t-shirt that would aid in awareness, as well as generate a profit that could be used in the fight. 100% of the profits from shirt sales go toward the fight against human trafficking. Since this is brand new, we are still exploring the best ways to use this money, but we will continually update the site with all of the activities. After an upcoming board meeting in early February, we hope to be able to share a clearer vision of how the funds will be used. Keep checking back, and always feel free to contact us. Thanks for joining us in the fight!

She Has A Name is thankful that Veritas Community Church has joined them in the efforts of fighting human trafficking by helping with funding and certain management aspects. Without the help of Veritas, things wouldn't be moving as quickly as they are. Thanks!
Contact info
E-mail: shehasaname@ymail.com
Phone: 614.423.9718

If you want to order a t-shirt (I did! They're pretty sweet), donate, or simply check out the website, visit She Has a Name on Veritas.

No comments:

Post a Comment