Monday, March 14, 2011

Blogs Galore

I distinctly remember my days of early high school when I first heard the term "blog" I refused to have anything to do with this new silly feature I saw on Myspace because, and I quote, a blog sounded like a "gargantuan booger."  I had an active imagination.

My first official blog was created under the guise of a media class, called "Results of Discoveries."  It was supposed to be a general compilation of all the wonderful things I was discovering as a fresh faced 20 year old.  But an un-focused blog leads to an unfocused author, than that one eventually faded into the blogosphere.

My second I again created for a Women's Studies/English/Interactive Media Studies Class.  My fellow students were intense feminists (I qualify them as intense because I believe if you believe in the equality of women, everyone is a feminist.  These were the extreme outliers), black-booted and moody English students, a couple techie nerds, and a fascinating quintessential college professor.  We read things like Wurthering Heights and the Vindication of the Rights of Women and blogged our thoughts.  It was actually a fantastic class, but I can only stand exploring the character of Heathrow for so long. Dead blog #2.

Finally, in light of my work with kids in the mobile home park in Oxford and leading fundraisers like the 30 Hour Famine, I started a blog with a focus that I actually was passionate about.  Do you ever think you know a lot about a subject, only to look back later and declare with disgrace that you really knew nothing at all?  The blog I started was about the Cycle of Poverty.  It still has a lot of good information on it, but after spending almost nine months in AmeriCops I look back and see I was barely scratching the surface.

Since this current service blog has kept most of my attention, I actually completely forgot about the Cycle of Poverty blog (on WordPress, no less!) until I stumbled upon it once again from a GoogleAlert.  So with a request to withhold your judgment of a slightly un-educated attempt at a resourceful blog that hasn't been updated in almost a year, feel free to check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment