Sunday, March 6, 2011

Encouragement

My trainees are always wonderful at the end of a long day of learning about the program, and many of them say something like "I have been to a lot of trainings in my career, and I actually enjoyed this one!"  I'm guessing I am more enjoyable because I am not an expert and I KNOW I am not an expert, rather I see myself as a helper of sorts.  I know a little bit more about a tool than most people, and I have resources and practice in presenting it.

Training and public speaking are both skills that play a huge role in my position, and I've discovered that I actually enjoy the challenge and differentiation that trainings bring.  It's always an exhausting day because I have to play so many different roles: educator, speaker, technical help (my last training I spent the better part of running around switching out short-term batteries and troubleshooting internet connections), but I would rather do this than have a cookie cutter position any day.  Most trainings are at different locations across Central Ohio, and there is always a different mix of people.  I get the most joy when the trainees are engaged, excited, and ready to actually use the tool to help their community.  Below is an email I received from a trainee in Clark County, it made my day. 

Encourage the people around you.  Even if you have to sit through a potentially boring training (not mine, of course. Mine are never boring.)  A little bit of positive feedback goes a long way.
Thank you for the lesson at (training location) and I am looking forward to helping others get help thru myself cause of this certification that I will receive after today. I hope that we can keep in touch in the future for I am growing with (two awesome organizations in Central Ohio he is working with). I would like to be able to have and acquire the knowledge and have information to help those less fortunate than I. I have learned a lot of things so far working with these groups on a lot of things. I wish I would have known when I needed help. Now, I am able to direct others in the direction for them to receive assistance. Again Sarah, Thank You Very Much for your time and knowledge that I have acquired today.  God Bless you in all you do and achive in you journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment