Friday, July 9, 2010

Goals, plans, and challenges

Yesterday I had a weekly meeting with Zach, where I got to unload all my built up questions. I always have an inner battle (common for an ESFJ like myself), as I pride myself in being self sufficient in motivated, but at the same time ask tons of questions of those around me to solve my curiosity. So having a weekly meeting with Zach allows me an outlet where I avoid emailing and approaching him ten times a day. We also shared anecdotes that help explain concepts from his views on customer service.
(Need to back up here and explain more) > As Zach just stepped up to manage more people in the organization, he is meeting formally with the team to cover his expectations. In the last meeting he went over customer service goals (accurate, accountable, available). I shared about my experience with a past college course in which I had a leadership position and my professor was pretty much non existent, so I had to be proactive (and responsive) in accomplishing our class goals.
Okay, back to the present day, one on one meeting. After shared my exciting news (things like “I had my first voicemail on my phone!” and “I got my first call for a new site!” “I feel important!”), we reviewed my 2 week/4week/2month work plan. I am barreling through the first section as I visit sites in the area and learn more about the Benefit Bank. Zach told me to let him know when I wasn’t feeling challenged anymore and we would have to work out other things for me to do. I for some reason immediately thought that I was off track or not doing what he expected of me and was about to launch into a description of my detailed plans and my completed work. That is, until he said I was accomplishing tasks much quicker than he expected and he just wanted to make sure in the future I was always being challenged. Oh. Okay!

Right now the challenge is to not lead any sites or counselors astray and to represent the Benefit Bank in a professional way. It's inwardly focused, bolstering myself, but I am beginning to see a shift the more I get established. My challenge will soon come out of a solid expertise base and become outwardly focused, ready to conquer my focus counties. Are you ready for this, Franklin/Clark/Champaign/Logan county?

No comments:

Post a Comment