Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tools to Navigate the system

After fielding various phone calls from trained counselors not having a clear idea of what exactly happens to the applications once they put them through the software I train with, I can see why my supervisor wanted me to do a "counselor supplement" project.

If you consider the notion that people only hear 15% of what is said to them, and every single word that comes out of my mouth is crucial (perhaps except my corny jokes that are meant to keep people awake), we have to prepare and equip counselors to find answers to questions after they leave the training.  They go home with an entire training book, but that is designed for state-wide use and is mainly step-by-step how to use the software.  Once counselors sit down with a real person in need of real help, there is a lot more involved than just navigating the software.  They have to help their client navigate the entire public benefits system.

Hopefully this is where my supplements come in.  I am meeting with intake workers and supervisors in every single county in the Central region.  This serves a few purposes:
  • Further solidfying the relationship between the my program and JFS
  • Showing JFS that we want to work with them and are trying to help them work more efficiently with clients
  • Gives JFS the opportunity to voice concerns and create a conversation about how the our software works.
  • Counselors are assured the information I give them is current and correct, as it is straight from the intake workers.
They've been very productive meetings, and helpful for me to see the other side of the JFS office (especially after dealing with my own frustrations in getting food assistance.  Still in that battle, by the way.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment