Monday, September 27, 2010

Cut Off

"Based on the current call volume, your hold time is 39 minutes, 11 seconds.  Please hold for the next available representative."  *click*

When I talk about living in solidarity with the people I am serving, I am not joking around.  Despite the fact that I am an educated, literate, capable human being who in fact works for a program that helps people sign up for public benefits and access things like food assistance, if I do not get through to JFS within the next three days, I will loose my food assistance.

ARGGRAGARSRAGAGGGG!!!!!

I even went through a contact I have at JFS to transfer my case from Delaware County.  Since Franklin County is so populated, I am assigned to a different Opportunity Center than where my case got transferred to.  So it's in the right county, I just have to do a Inner County transfer.  I've called at every time of the day and been disconnected due to call volume every time.  I've sternly emailed the center to inform them of this and request a contact that way as well.

It's not working.  I am frustrated.  I have In Service Training for AmeriCorps all day tomorrow, and the next day my mother is dragging my family to Pittsburg to see Celtic Thunder (it's okay Mom, I love them too), so the only time I can go into the office is on the 30th.  The very last day.

If you are a case worker at the North Community Opportunity Center, please call me.  My number is 614.357.6146.  Please give me a chance to interview.  I understand your staff has been cut, your budget has been cut, and more people in the community have been visiting you than ever before because of the state of the economy.  But I am a person.  Who likes to eat.  Let me speak for every other person out there fighting the system and trying to work through all your barriers: give me a chance.  And add more open lines to your phone.  I can wait 40 minutes on hold if it means I can get food assistance for the next 9 months.  Thank you for the work you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment